Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fall Sewing

It's still been a little melancholy around here.  My grandfather is finally at rest and I feel so fortunate that we were able to spend some quality time with him and with the whole family in those last few weeks.

The hustle of all the travelling and planning has quieted down, and the three of us are over all the gross germs we picked up from the airport.  It feels like we're finally starting to sink back into our familiar rhythms at home.

I've actually managed quite a bit of sewing, but {shockingly, I know} haven't quite been able to keep up with sharing them here.  Since it's WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced, I thought I'd start with my current fall WIP:

This quilt top was originally an UFO from 2010.  The project started out as a pattern from the monthly Le Petite Club, but to be honest, I just wasn't crazy about it.  After playing around with the basic building blocks and dimensions a bit, I came up with a design that I really liked ... but it looked nothing like the original!


At the time, I was at a loss as to how to finish the quilt.  I felt like it definitely needed some sort of a  border - and more than just a solid one, at that - but I couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was supposed to look like.  Flying Geese and HSTs just weren't fitting the bill, so into the back of the closet the project went, awaiting further inspiration.


When I pulled it out again this fall, the first thing that I noticed was the large white square in the center of the quilt:



I've really had a thing for quilts with secondary patterns lately, so I sat down with EQ to figure out how to extend the edges of the quilt to get that same square for the outer Churn Dash blocks.  Here's how it came out!


I've been back and forth over the last couple of days as to whether it needs one more brown border around the perimeter.  Looking at the photo, now, I think it definitely does.  Hopefully, next week I'll have the think quilted and bound, with more pictures to share!  

In the meantime, the pattern is now available in both my Craftsy and Etsy shops.  Thanks so much for stopping by!!





No comments: